Saturday, September 6, 2008

Week 2, Post 3: Naming

On page 66 in Chapter 5, "naming" is recognized as an application of symbolic interactionism. Naming is when someone is called a name or epithet that may be degrading. Although we claim that "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me", it's a lie. Of course words hurt. Words can be so powerful, it's unbelievable. Words can be hurtful, especially if they aren't true, but even more so if there is some truth behind it. If I call you a liberal, you might not be offended. If I call you a nazi, you're probably going to be angry.

Interestingly enough, we sometimes believe we can take the power away from a word. The N-word is a perfect example. Some African-Americans use the N-word because they feel it takes the power and impact away from the word. Whites used the word in the past to demean and degrade blacks, and now blacks use it proudly. I'm half African-American and have used the N-word occasionally, "lovingly" between friends. The power of the word is diminished. On the other hand, if someone were to call me a nigger, I would be highly offended and hurt. When someone is called a name, it forces them to stop and think, hey, is that what people really think of me? Do people really think I'm a slut? Do people really think I'm ugly? And once we hear the word, it sticks in our head and bothers us in the middle of the night. Even if it's not true, it still gnaws at you subconsciously, and just because someone said it.

No comments: