Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 2, Post 1: Rhetoric

After watching the Democratic National Convention last week and the Republican National Convention this week, the concept of rhetoric in Chapter 4 really stuck out. The section on Rhetorical Tradition can be found on page 41.

Rhetoric is an important part of communication, especially at a time like now, when the presidential election is going on. Rhetoric is the art of persuasion in regards to public speaking. It involves speaking in a way that moves people. There is a focus on persuading the audience with emotional language, delivery, and tone. The text names Martin Luther King Jr. as master of rhetorical style. Rhetoric is important in our lives because it can move us to do something (or not do something). Learning the art of rhetoric is especially useful if you want to be a politician or perhaps a salesman.

Obama's speech last week is a great example. Listening to him speak, I felt compelled to take action and vote. I was filled with hope and excitement for the future of our country. His speech was inspiring to say the least. In my opinion, Obama did a good job of persuading me to vote for him. I cannot say the same for McCain's speech, which I felt was less inspiring. It could have been all the chanting of USA USA every two minutes though... that was irritating and took the focus away from his speech. While Obama is pretty darn good at rhetoric, he still falls short of Martin Luther King Jr. who in my opinion, was the best ever in terms of moving people and stirring their souls and consciousness. I could only dream of speaking like these politicians do... I have a hard enough time trying to persuade my daughter to use to the potty.

No comments: