Friday, October 3, 2008

Week 6, Post 1: I Gotta Problem

On page 223 of Chapter 17, the first of the four functions of effective decision making caught my interest. This first function is analysis of the problem or better said, problem analysis. The text defines problem analysis as "determining the nature, extent, and cause(s) of the problem facing the group." When there is a problem, it is important to look at it from all sides and really give it some thought. I like what my mom always says about problems. She says, "Stop, think, and predict". Stop before you make any sudden decisions. Think about what the pros and cons are. Predict any possible outcomes. Hirokawa warns us that problems can become worse when people don't really understand the problem in the first place. Problems need a lot of thought. They need to be dissected and analyzed before a hasty decision is reached.

I've made a lot of poor decisions in the past regarding problems. All I really needed to do was analyze my problem and I probably would have made a better decision. This is especially important in a crisis situation. Hasty decision making can lead to poor decision making. By thinking our problems out, we can all become better decision makers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you.. more often than I'd like to admit, I jump straight to the solving portion of the decision making process. Sometimes I can't find a good solution and I realize that I don't fully understand the problem at all. Other times I'm so hasty in my decision making that I make a decision without fully understanding the problem and only realize this after my plan fails. It really is helpful to stop, take a step back, and really think about the problem before making any decisions.

Darnisha said...

I admit that I am very good at over-analyzing situations that happen, but after reading this chapter, I know understand that I am actually doing something good. Yay me! It makes sense that analyzing the problem comes first because you must analyze a problem before you can move on to any of the other functions. You have to be able to see the problems from all of the different angles. However, there are some instances where over analyzing could lead to some problems. An obvious one could be over analyzing your relationship/friendship with someone, or a difficult situation at work you must over come. But to be safe, it is always wise to analyze your problem before you move on to the next step.