Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week 7, Post 3: "If you don't like it, quit!"

"Because I'm the boss."
"Because I say so."
"If you don't like it, quit."
"It's my way or the highway." (265)

How many of us have heard these lines in the workplace? In Chapter 20, Deetz explains that managerialism is a "systematic logic, set of routine practices, and ideology that calues control over all other concerns" (265). When employees get a taste of power, they want more. This seems to be true with managers. Many managers are power hungry and crave control. How do you respond when a manger tells you "if you don't like it, quit"? Most of us bite the bullet. These managers give us a "choice" which boils down to our loyalty to our job, and most of us don't want to be disloyal. There are the handful of us that will not take crap from anyone, let alone our managers. I applaud these people... but I need to keep my job. This is how the voice of the employee gets drowned out. Managers get rewarded for being controlling and taking care of business. It is the bottom line that is important and not how the bottom line is achieved. Control seems to have more cons than pros. Employees are resentful and resort to just "doing their job". Better communication and more control to employees seems to be the best way to combat these issues.

1 comment:

saucysaschy said...

Haha I can totally relate to what you are saying. I've had some experiences with managers where I had to just bite my tongue and walk away because I didn't want to risk losing my job. Yet there have also been times where it continued and I stood up for myself. I can understand why they do it and why they go on power trips (it seems its human nature at times, like Deetz stated), BUT they shouldn't make others feel inadequate and it shouldn't continue. Power is a huge thing in socity now and it seems like a lot of people want more and more power.