Saturday, October 4, 2008

Week 6, Post 3: Reflective Thinking

I like how the four fundamental requisites can be compared to a doctor treating a patient. Reflective thinking is "thinking that favors rational consideration over intuitive hunches or pressure from those with clout". Reflective thinking can be found on page 230 of Chapter 18. The first step is to recognize the symptons of the illness, or problem. We need to analyze our problems first and foremost. The second step is to diagnose the cause of the illness. We find out where our problem comes from. The third step is to establish criteria for wellness. We figure out what needs to be done in order to fix the problem. The fourth step is to consider possible remedies. We lay out all possible ways to fix the problem. The fifth step is to test to determine which solutions will be successful. We try different ways to fix the problem. Lastly, the sixth step is to prescribe the best solution. We use the best solution to remedy the problem!

I think it would be beneficial to look at problems like a medical condition. I had a huge problem tonight! My fiance lost his wallet and keys. If I look at this like an illness, I would first recognize what the symptons of the problem are: well, we have a lost wallet and set of keys and are quite upset. Then I would diagnose the cause of the illness: stupidity on behalf of my fiance. Ok, that's a bit harsh... it was an honest mistake. Then I would establish criteria for wellness. In order to "get well" we need to replace everything and cancel anything that could be used. Next, I would consider all possible remedies and then test to see which ones will work. Finally, I implement the best solution which is cancelling his debit card, going to the DMV for a new license, making a new set of keys, etc. I feel better already...

No comments: