Saturday, September 27, 2008

Week 5, Post 3: Aesthetic Moments

Page 162 of Chapter 12 highlights dialogue as an aesthetic moment. Aesthetic moments are "a fleeting sense of unity through a profound respect for disparate voices in dialogue". These moments are special times in our lives, such as the birth of a child, making love for the first time, and other significant moments in our everyday lives. Although these moments fade away, the memories can comfort us. I often think of the many aesthetic moments that I've experienced in my life. Although the moment is gone, I have the memories. Sometimes my fiance and I bring up these memories and I notice that it does bring us closer together. I didn't realize that these moments were so important in a close relationship. Our relationships are built on these moments though and they give us something to communicate about for years to come.

No comments: